The Japan Africa Dream Scholarships Program or JADS for short was created in 2017 as a result of the partnership between AfDB and Japan. The partnership is aiming to provide two-year scholarship awards to outstanding African graduate students and to help them follow their dreams of undergoing post-graduate studies (a two-year Master’s degree program for example) in certain development areas on the continent and Japan.
The primary goal of the AfDB and the Government of Japan is to enhance skills and human resources development in Africa under the Bank’s High 5s agenda (Light Up Africa, Integrate Africa, Feed Africa, Industrialize Africa and Improve the quality of life of the people in Africa). This is why the core areas of study focus on health, agriculture, environmental sustainability, energy and engineering. With that said, let’s go ahead and check out which are the benefits of being awarded a scholarship by JADS.
AfDB Japan Africa Dream Scholarships (JADS) Program in 2019/2020 – Benefits
- A monthly living stipend
- Round-trip airfare
- Health insurance
- Travel allowance.
For scholars engaged in research, a special grant may be available for research and thesis preparation. In special circumstances, computer literacy, preparatory language and other similar courses may be covered under the scholarship. Please note all JADS scholarships cover the duration of the graduate program or two years, whichever is less.
AfDB Japan Africa Dream Scholarships (JADS) Program in 2019/2020 – Criteria
- The program is open to those who have gained admission to an approved Masters’ degree course at a Japanese partner university. Candidates should be 35 years old or younger; in good health; with a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in the energy area or related area; and have a superior academic record. Upon completion of their study programs, scholars are expected to return to their home country to contribute to its economic and social development
- Be a national of an AfDB member country;
- Be in good health;
- Hold a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree in the energy area (or related field) earned at least 1 years prior to the application deadline date;
- Have 1 years or more of recent development-related experience after earning a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree;
- Be accepted unconditionally to enroll in the upcoming academic year in at least one of the JADS partner universities for a Master’s degree;
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his or her home country are not eligible for scholarships.
- JADS does not support applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs.
- Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, and/or staff of all types of appointments of the African Development Bank Group or a close relative of the aforementioned by blood or adoption with the term “close relative” defined as: Mother, Father, Sister, Half-sister, Brother, Half-brother, Son, Daughter, Aunt, Uncle, Niece, or Nephew.
- Eligible Regions: AfDB member country;
In addition, all eligibility criteria are strictly adhered to. No exceptions are made. Eligibility criteria will not change during an open call for applications. However, this information is subject to change between the close of one application process and the opening of the next.
Official Letter and Deadline
We are advising all students who are interested in this scholarship program to CLICK HERE and access the official website where they can submit their online application form. Furthermore, the deadline is October 31, 2019.