The Obama Foundation Scholars Program was entirely virtual for the 2020-2021 academic year and Scholars participated in the program remotely from their home countries. The Obama Foundation and Columbia University continue to monitor the trajectory of the COVID-19 pandemic. We hope to hold the program on-site in New York City for the 2021-2022 academic year if it is safe to do so. However, there is a possibility the program will be conducted remotely and Scholars will not reside in New York City.
The Obama Foundation Scholars Program at Columbia University seeks rising leaders from around the world who meet the following criteria:
- Are emerging leaders who have made meaningful contributions to their field and are now at a “breakthrough moment” in their careers
- Have a proven commitment to service and leadership within a community, region or country, coupled with a demonstrated commitment to return to these communities following their completion of the program and apply their enhanced training, skills, and connections on a long-term basis for the benefit of these communities
- Are fluent in English (verbal, written and spoken)
- Have the ability and inclination to positively shape the future of their community
- Have a demonstrated commitment to humility, integrity, inclusivity, stewardship, fearlessness, imagination and teamwork
We are pleased to share that, for the first time, we are extending the application for the 2021-2022 cohort of Obama Foundation Scholars at Columbia University to U.S. citizens and residents who are making significant contributions to communities, countries, or regions within the United States in addition to seeking leaders from around the world.
Since 2018, the Obama Foundation Scholars Program at Columbia University has welcomed:
- 34 rising leaders from 29 countries who have demonstrated a commitment to finding solutions to challenges in their communities, countries, and regions
- Scholars who were, on average, 35 years of age, with ages ranging from 25 to 45
- Emerging institutional and movement leaders addressing a range of challenges, including strengthening governance, increasing access to high-quality healthcare, environmental sustainability, and promoting women’s rights and ending gender-based violence
To learn more about our Scholars, please visit the Meet the Scholars page. For the 2021-2022 academic year, we are also extending the application to U.S. citizens and residents who are making significant contributions to communities, countries, or regions within the United States as part of the cohort of Obama Foundation Scholars at Columbia University, in addition to seeking leaders from around the world.
A complete application, submitted entirely online, includes the following materials:
Complete online application form
Complete the online application form for the 2021-2022 Obama Foundation Scholars Program at Columbia University by February 5, 2021 at 5:00PM ET. Any applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
The resume/curriculum vitae should be a chronological listing of your employment and academic history, and other significant activities, including any awards, publications, or other achievements․
Personal video statement
The personal video statement should be a short video (no longer than three minutes in length) introducing the applicant and their work to the selection committee. Applicants will upload their video statement to a video hosting service, like YouTube or Vimeo, and will include a link to their video in the online application. Additional information on the requirements for the personal video statement can be found in the online application.
Responses to short essay questions
The short essay questions help the selection committee understand the applicant’s work, their motivation and how the program fits into their career trajectory. Applicants will submit their essay questions in the online application.
Proof of English proficiency
Applicants whose native language is not English are required to demonstrate proficiency in the English language by submitting scores from one of four exams: The internet-based or paper-based exams of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic); or the Duolingo English Test (DET). No other exams will be accepted.
This requirement is waived for applicants who:
- have completed an undergraduate degree – not a master’s or graduate degree – in a country where English is an official language;
- have previously taken the TOEFL, IELTS, PTE Academic, or DET exams in the last five years and scored at or above the minimum requirement of 100 (TOEFL-IBT), 600 (TOEFL-PBT), 7.0 (IELTS), 68 (PTE Academic), or 120 (DET; 75 on the DET taken prior to July 2019). If applicants qualify for a waiver under this exception, they must upload a scanned copy of their score report to the online application to ensure their application is eligible for review. If they did not score at or above the required minimum or no longer have a copy of their old results, they must retake an English proficiency exam.
- TOEFL – Internet-Based Exam: 100
- TOEFL – Paper-Based Exam: 600
- International English Language Testing System Academic: 7
- Pearson Test of English Academic: 68
- Duolingo English Test: 120 (75 on the exam taken prior to July 2019)
Please note that while applicants who received scores below the posted minimums may still apply, applications are not guaranteed to be reviewed.
Two letters of recommendation
Two letters of recommendation are required from individuals who are familiar with the applicant and the applicant’s work in an academic, professional or community service setting. Recommendations should directly address the applicant’s suitability for admission to the Obama Foundation Scholars Program. Recommendations should not be written by family members or friends.
- Monthly stipend to assist with living expenses in New York City
- A furnished studio apartment within walking distance of Columbia University, if the program is able to convene in person
- All tuition and fees for up to four courses at Columbia University
- Basic medical, dental and life insurance for the duration of the program in New York City, if the program is able to convene in person
- Air travel to and from home country and any program-related activities, if the program is able to convene in person
Apply for the 2021-2022 Cohort
The Obama Foundation Scholars Program is accepting applications for the 2021-2022 program until February 5, 2021 at 5:00PM ET.Apply Now
Nominate Someone You Know
Do you know the next Obama Foundation Scholar? We’re accepting nominations for this year’s program.Nominate a Candidate
The Obama Foundation Scholars Program official link; https://worldprojects.columbia.edu/application-information
Search More Global Scholarships:
Study Canada: University of Ottawa Scholarships for international students 2021-2022
January 26, 2021Global Scholarship0
University of Ottawa scholarship program is one of the most generous in the country. It rewards not only your pre-university academic achievements, but also your achievements every term of full-time study at University. A scholarship […]
1000+ Fully Funded Global Scholarships For 2021-2022: Apply Now
January 24, 2021Global Scholarship0
Do you want to start your study adventure abroad? Good news! A number of fully funded scholarships are available for international students. In this article we will explain in detail about fully funded scholarships offered […]
2021-2022 List of Global Scholarships, Grants, Internships & Fellowships for International Students
January 20, 2021Global Scholarship0
Top 75 International Scholarships to Watch out for in 2021 Want to study abroad in 2021 or 2022? Browse through 75 of the best international scholarships programs for Distance Learning Courses, Training/Short Courses, Bachelors Degrees, […]
Canadian Immigration- Step by Step Process for 2021 Startup Visa
January 20, 2021Global Scholarship0
Immigrate with a start-up visa: About the process Canada’s Start-up Visa Program targets immigrant entrepreneurs with the skills and potential to build businesses in Canada that: are innovative can create jobs for Canadians can compete […]
Study in Canada- How to get LOA from a Canadian university or college
January 13, 2021Global Scholarship1
How to get a letter of acceptance (LOA) from a Canadian university or college for 2021-2022 admission A letter of acceptance, or what can be known as an offer letter or offer of admission, is […]
Fully Funded Canada Government Scholarships Program: Apply Now
January 4, 2021Global Scholarship2
Services and information Canada Graduate Scholarships (Master’s) Scholarships for high-calibre students engaged in master’s or doctoral programs in Canada. Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Scholarships for doctoral studies in health, sciences, engineering or humanities. Banting Postdoctoral […]
Study in Canada at the OCSB: Apply International Students for 2021
December 27, 2020Global Scholarship2
Study in Canada at the OCSB, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Students from all over the world choose to study at the Ottawa Catholic School Board. From Kindergarten to Grade 12, we offer world-class education in Canada’s […]
2021 Canada, Australia, NZ & UK Education, Immigration & Global Jobs
December 24, 2020Global Scholarship0
Canadian Immigration Canada set to invite over 100,000 candidates to apply for PR Canada is on track to inviting more than 100,000 immigration applicants to apply for permanent migration to the country in 2020. A […]
2021 Fully Funded UNICEF Internship: Apply Now
December 11, 2020Global Scholarship0
2021 Fully Funded UNICEF Internship: Apply Now Start your career with UNICEF UNICEF What UNICEF offer The UNICEF Internship Programme offers students and recent graduates the opportunity to gain direct practical experience with UNICEF’s work. […]
2021 Canada Study, Scholarship & Immigration: Apply Now
December 8, 2020Global Scholarship0
Concordia Presidential Scholarship Every year Concordia University welcomes exceptional international students from all over the world to study, research and innovate at our thriving institution. The Concordia Presidential Scholarship is a newly established full flight […]
Be the first to comment