Apply For Mandela Rhodes Foundation Scholarships For African Youths 2021
Application is now open for The Mandela Rhodes Foundation Scholarship 2021. The scholarship is aimed at building exceptional leadership capacity in Africa. The Mandela Rhodes Scholarship is a combination of financial support for postgraduate studies and a high quality Leadership Development Programme.
The Mandela Rhodes programmes is a combination of financial support for postgraduate studies and a high quality Leadership Development Programme, the program will develop leadership and vocational capacity across African society, to help the continent achieve success and prosperity and full equal participation in the global world.
The Mandela Rhodes Foundation is a unique partnership seeking to close a circle of history for the benefit of current and future generations of Africans. It brings together the 20th century legacy of Leadership and Reconciliation embodied by Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela, and Cecil John Rhodes’s 19th century legacy as it relates specifically to Education and Entrepreneurship.
ALSO READ: Fully Funded Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at KNUST For Young Africans
The overarching mission of The Mandela Rhodes Foundation is to build exceptional leadership capacity in Africa, by providing excellent educational and training opportunities to individual Africans with leadership potential; as well as by creating over time a network of well-rounded leaders of talent, effectiveness and integrity across African society.
The Mandela Rhodes Scholarships are intended as a vehicle for the sustainable and practical expression of the aim to provide exceptional educational opportunities, develop a network of leaders, and thereby help to build leadership capacity in Africa.
ALSO READ: Apply for Fully Funded NUTM Scholars Program (NSP) for Nigerian Students 2021/2022
The Scholarships programme will seek candidates who identify with the values set out by Mr. Mandela and Mr. Rhodes; as well as demonstrating the characteristics set out separately in the document: The Characteristics Sought in a Mandela Rhodes Scholar.
Administration, Agriculture, Biology & Animal Science, Architecture & Construction, Design & Graphic Design, Chemistry, Computers & IT, Economics & Business, Education, Energy, Engineering, Environment, Geography & Outer Space, History & Anthropology, Human Rights, International Affairs, Languages, Law, Media, Marketing & PR, Medicine, Nursing & Psychology, Military & Security, Physics & Math, Politics, Religion, Society, Sport & Fitness, Arts, Video & Photography, Tourism & Hospitality, Transportation.
ALSO READ: Step By Step complete Guide on How to Write An Effective CV
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must be:
- The Scholarship is open to citizens of all African countries
- The Scholarship is for postgraduate study at South African universities or tertiary institutions
- Full funding is for Honours (maximum one year) or Masters (up to a maximum of two years) or their equivalents (MBA’s excluded)
- Any individual who will be between the ages of 19 and 29 years at the time of taking up the Scholarship may apply
- Applicants must possess a first degree or its equivalent or must be in the process of completing one by 31 January 2021
- Applicants should have a history of well above average academic results
- Individuals that reflect in their character a commitment to the four principles of Education, Reconciliation, Leadership and Entrepreneurship
- Applicants must be able to attend all compulsory elements of our Leadership Development Programme. These activities can occur during the week or on weekends.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred once awarded. It must be taken up in the year which was applied for.
PLEASE NOTE: If you qualify for the Scholarship, The Mandela Rhodes Foundation does not apply to tertiary institutions on your behalf. Applicants must apply separately to their chosen tertiary institution for the degree they wish to undertake. The Scholarship award is conditional on the applicant being offered a place at the relevant institution.
A. Financial scope of the Scholarship
The Scholarship covers the cost of a Scholar as follows:
- Tuition and registration fees as set by the institution
- A study materials allowance as set by the MRF
- Accommodation and meal allowances as set by the MRF
- A medical aid allowance as set by the MRF
- Economy-class travel allowance for international Scholars only from the Scholar’s home to their institution at the beginning and end of their degree
- Personal allowance
B. Leadership Development Programme
The MRF Leadership Development Programme is made up of the following three components.
- Three residential Workshops;
- Three Regional group Pods;
- Second Year Programme
1. Residential Workshops
The heart of the Leadership Development Programme is delivered primarily through a series of residential Workshops. These highlight and engage critically with the four principles of the Foundation, namely: Leadership, Reconciliation, Entrepreneurship and Education. The Workshops create a unique opportunity to build the individual capacities of Scholars, provide the space to engage with high-profile leaders and expert thinkers, build a sense of community within the cohort and connect incoming Scholars to the broader Mandela Rhodes Community.
The Foundation holds three Workshops of approximately five days each during the year. Attendance to the Workshops is compulsory for all Scholars. Since workshop dates will be given in advance, Mandela Rhodes Scholars must make the necessary arrangements where there are clashes with their academic calendars to ensure full participation in the Workshops.
Pods are regional gatherings which seek to:
- Build stronger local support networks;
- Continue particular conversations and areas of reflection and engagement to supplement learning from the residential Workshops;
- Enrich the residential experience once Scholars return home.
The third component of the programme is a voluntary Mentoring Programme. The purpose of this component is to:
- Give Scholars in residence space for one-on-one reflection, advice and growth;
- Allow alumni Mandela Rhodes Scholars to give back to the Foundation through volunteering their time serving as Mentors;
- Build intergenerational networks among Mandela Rhodes Scholars;
- Enrich and support the growth journey of Scholars in their year-in-residence beyond the group gatherings.
4. Second Year Programme
The overall objective of the Second Year Program is to prepare Scholars to be more impactful in their respective sectors, while they are in the second year of their Masters. Using multi-disciplinary pod groups, design thinking and systems thinking principles, the pod sessions are intended to equip Scholars with the necessary mindsets and tools to action the principles of the MRF towards greater societal impact
For more information visit the official webpage of Mandela Rhode Foundation Scholarship 2021
2021-2022 COMMONWEALTH MASTER’S SCHOLARSHIPS Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships are for candidates from eligible lower and upper middle income Commonwealth countries, to undertake full-time taught Master’s study at a UK university. Funded by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & […]
International scholarship opportunities for non-Canadians Choose Canada as your study or research destination and explore the scholarship opportunities available to support the best and brightest to come to Canada. Explore our database by country of […]
There are many international scholarships for African students available, including government scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships and university scholarships. Read on for our list of current opportunities, and download our free guide on how to find scholarships to study abroad here. 2021-2022 Canada […]